August 22, 2012

A Smattering of Life and a Thought of the Heavens

So what have I been up to? Well, working at my job and other normal things. But let me share the more interesting things.

I'm learning a Beethoven sonata. The moonlight sonata to be exact. Both the first and the third movements. Many people play the first movement, but I think it should probably not be learned until the performer is capable of the third as well... or at least that is what my teacher told me once. Now all I have to do is make sure it is fine with my currant teacher for me to officially learn this sonata this semester. I think he'll be fine with it.

Today, I pulled out my Disney music and cranked up A Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, and others while I thoroughly cleaned my room. All summer long I have left one pile of winter clothes on the back of my chair. Doom and Shame! I can hardly bring myself to admit it, but so it was, and so it shall not be again! I determined that on my day off I would forever banish this pile from my kingdom. Strangely enough, shortly after that pile disappeared, a mysterious "iron" stack made it's debut downstairs and now awaits my attention, sigh. But at the very least this stack is NOT on the back of my chair, so that is progress.

Our piano got tuned today which definitely made my day better than it would have been otherwise. My dad teased me saying that it was my early birthday present!

I have been picking out one of my favorite Michael Buble songs, "Lost." I hope to get it all written down before too long. I figured out the rest of the chords today, now I have to get it down on paper as closely as I can to the way it sounds. Which takes some doing.

I am also working on some themes to put in a piano trio I am hoping to arrange for my dear friend Abby. I know that will take quite a while to finish and I am still at the very beginning stages, but a start is a start.

Today, I ran my last few miles as an 18 year old. I'm training for a half-marathon in October.
Here are some of my thoughts on the verses I have been memorizing as I run.

Psalm 19:1-6

The heavens declare the glory of God and the sky above proclaims His handiwork.
(God's glory is shown at all times through His own creation; the heavens.)

Day to day pours out speech and night to night reveals knowledge.
(The heavens have a message both in the day and also at night. There is no break from it.)

There is no speech nor are there words whose voice is not heard.
(The voice of the heavens is heard and will always be heard even to the end of the world.)

Their measuring line goes out through all the earth and their words to the end of the world.
(It is a constant witness to the glory of God.)

In them He has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber and, like a strong man, runs it's course with joy.
(The running it's course with joy part I'm afraid I tend to take slightly out of context and apply to me running with joy... buy hey, a strong man runs his course with joy. I want to be like that.)

It's rising is from the end of the heavens and it's circuit to the end of them and there is nothing hidden from it's heat.


I know I sometimes forget all the things God has done for me, but I have a constant witness if I will only think of it that way. There is no getting away from sky. It is always there, so I need to change my perspective to one where I link even a glimpse of the sky to God's glory.

"The heavens declare the glory of God and the sky above proclaims His handiwork." Psalm 19:1

~ A Song of Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment