August 26, 2012

The Little and Not So Little Things


 
I know you know this. We all know it. Sometimes, though, we have to remind ourselves of things we know. It is not exactly that we forget, but perhaps we lose sight of it for a moment, or a day, before something draws our attention back to it. If you tried right now you could probably come up with a whole list of things that you occasionally need to be reminded of.

Simply put - We take things for granted.

Especially in this culture, one in which we are greatly blessed, we don't tend to take time to think about the little, or not so little, things in our lives.

I spent some time just the other day (inadvertently so) thinking about a lot of things that I usually take for granted. Here are just a few that crossed my mind.

I take for granted that the sky is blue.
I take for granted that there are clouds in the sky (white and gray) and grass on the earth.
I take for granted that creation is beautiful. Not black and white film.
I take for granted that we have other people we can be around and have relationships with.
I take for granted that I'm alive. Moreover, that I'm alive mentally and spiritually as well as physically.
I take for granted that I can create things. (Ideas, art, etc.)
I take for granted that I need never fear.
I take for granted that I all my needs are known before I know them, by a God who is able to supply them.
I take for granted a next breath, day, and year.
I take for granted my ability to worship God openly.
I take for granted having those I love in my life and the days I have with them.

I could go on and on. Isn't it sad that I can keep on thinking of things that I am not grateful enough for, things that I presumptuously expect?

It is wrong, and I say this not to praise my faults and sin, but in order to point out how easy it is to fall into this way of thinking.

I never did a follow up post to my one on Psalm 19, but now I just connected a dot.

Verse 13
"Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me!"

In context, I think this verse is specifically talking about the sin of presuming to know better than God, because the verse before asks the question, "Who can discern his errors?" and the passage before is about the law of the Lord. But, isn't this also one of those sins; when we presume to know what we need, or literally, presume on the grace of God?

I love the way that verse is worded because it is so adamant. David speaks so strongly, "let them not have dominion over me!" Do not let those sins rule me, or have power over me. And once again, David convicts me through his example. He wants a clean heart and is willing to root out sin.

My older sister is preparing to leave on a trip to India for six months. I know there will be many things for her that she will have to grow used to; clothes, food, practices, language, and many many other things. She will learn to adapt and hopefully it will cause her to be more grateful for the things she has access to here.

That is one of the things I was getting at earlier. We do not spend our time being grateful. We do not naturally thank God or others for the wonderful blessings we have and yet, we would have nothing apart from Him and His goodness. So I encourage you, tomorrow, today, whenever it is, take time to thank God. Take time to see life through a different lens. Change your perspective on a rainy day, or an unusual circumstance. Take time to see the blue sky and the details of creation. Let your thankfulness for the greatest gift God could give, salvation through His Son, tint every thought and every word that passes your lips. Smile knowing that God has given us much. Be a good example of a Christ bearer, one who is able to take time for the little, or not so little things that many people miss.
Thank God. Be grateful.

~ A Song of Joy  

No comments:

Post a Comment