October 6, 2012

A Nice Day

It was such a nice day here. Nice, because of the rain. Nice because of the coolness. Nice because I was able to get out of the house to enjoy it.

It was nice for other reasons too, but there was just something so pleasant about the picture today left in my mind. Not to say, of course, that the day is over, but a snapshot of today is still in my mind.

This snapshot, I'm afraid, I did not capture on my camera, so I will have to write it for you.

The moment I am thinking about, was a moment at work. I was able to go back in for the first time in a full week. The day was cool. Some people would say cold, but I would just say chilly. It is the first day that, to me, has really felt like Fall. Oh, yes, there have been other days with a hint of it in the air, but today really felt it. I mean, not only in temperature, but with wind and rain.

So, I was standing in Chick-fil-a behind the counter and I looked outside. It was all dark and the rain was coming down in sheets. Our lights next to the window looked so cozy and cheery, and everyone around me seemed pleasant and cheerful as well, both customers and employees. I know I am biased, but I just thought how nice it was to be in a pleasant place on this kind of day.

Now, I like the rain. I like it just about any time it decides to show up, but today, it just felt right. And I like it even better on those days.

This late afternoon/early evening-ish after I got home from work, Catherine and I decided to bake.


No Roll Sugar Cookies
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Directions
>    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
>    Cream butter or margarine, shortening, white sugar and confectioners' sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
>    Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar together. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and blend.
>    Shape dough into walnut-sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Dip a glass in white sugar and press balls flat. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.



I was caught in the act...
What else can I say?


Enjoying the Michal Buble playing... 

Thankfully, though, our cookies turned out fantastically!!! 
I think it must be due to the REAL chef's work!
Catherine kept me on target!!!
She'll make a great pastry chef someday!


We had lots of fun! Cranked up the Buble and hopped too it!
It was nice...

~ A Song of Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment