April 17, 2012

A Day in the Limberlost

"Oh, Reverend Mother, I could never get lost out there!  It's my mountain..." ~ The Sound of Music

Perhaps that is how I feel, although I can sometimes get turned around a bit.  The "Limberlost" was calling me today, so I took an excursion up my mountain with a picnic lunch and my sister.

 On our way up... or down :)

 Not too far from this spot I saw a deer running away from us!  This is the first one I have ever seen up there.  I have often wondered at not seeing any in this seemingly perfect habitat.

We had a picnic on top of this rock formation.  Perfect place though you cannot tell from this picture.
The menu included cold carrot soup, crackers with bacon and cheese, apple, and walnuts.  Yum!
Plus a bite of melting chocolate!

Then we went down to the creek and it was just too nice to keep our shoes on!  Huck Finn moment!



 Me on a fallen tree... 
It was dubbed the "Robin Hood Tree" because it reminded 
me of the fallen tree bridge in the story. 
(with a little imagination ;)

 My Sister

 Me again...

Caitlin

While out in the Limberlost we saw a deer, a hawk, several lizards, a dragonfly, and a bunch of beautiful butterflies.  Thankfully no copperheads... That would have been eventful!  I'm tellin you I would've been running with or without shoes!

One more picture.  This one reminded me of the tree described in Psalm 1.

  "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.  He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither.  In all that he does, he prospers."

(I have always loved trees and I seem to always be captivated by them.  Pictures can't really capture their grandeur, but I keep on trying...)

"The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.  Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish."  - Psalm 1

~ A Song of Joy

4 comments:

  1. I miss trees. And all that beautiful green stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... well, there is a solution to that!!! Just sayin!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Caroline! Hmm, looks like our next get together needs to be a walk in "limberlost". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers! Although a walk in the "Limberlost" is much more like a hike!

      Delete