April 5, 2012

Familiar or Too Familiar?

In orchestra this evening, I confused the titles of our songs on multiple occasions.  The Wondrous Cross, The Wonder of the Cross, and several others with cross and other words in the title.  It was a bit funny at the time to get one out, set it on my stand, then realize I had once again pulled out the wrong one.  Actually though, this whole week I have been focusing on the cross and what it means.  The cross is not a foreign object to most of us.  We have seen countless pictures of it.  To most, it is familiar, but is its meaning also familiar, or maybe I should ask, is it too familiar?  Well, though I have heard it over and over again, I hope I never grow too comfortable with it.

I am planning to do several posts this weekend, but I know that I will also be busy, so we will have to see.
Before I close up for the night, here are the words to a song simply entitled, "The Cross."  We sang this in Choir a few years ago and it stuck with me.  I often sing it to remind me how important the cross is to every part of my life.

The cross before you to lead,
The cross behind you to defend,
The cross below you to uphold,
The cross beside you to befriend,

The cross above you to inspire,
The cross within you to consume,
The cross surround you with it's power,
Enfold you life, your soul, your all.

The cross each morning when you rise,
The cross each evening while you sleep,
The cross to see before your eyes,
The cross upon your lips to speak,

The cross be all that you would hear,
The cross be all that you believe,
The cross be with you in the life,
The cross be with you when you leave.

The cross before you,
The cross within you,

The cross is all you need.

Lyrics: Pamela Martin

~ A Song of Joy

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to find you on blogger! :-) Enjoying your posts thus far!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a good point! Love our style! Great to see you this week! Brief as it was!

    ReplyDelete