April 21, 2012

Yet Another Post on Hunger (part 3)


(I am skimming over so many things so I apologize if I leave thoughts rather undeveloped. Also, I will try not to dwell exclusively on the negative side!)

I think the books can be dangerous even for a person who knows what they believe.  It is challenging to read them without getting emotionally involved.  Honestly, the story kept getting more and more depressing and I kept waiting for a change that never really came.  At the end I felt that I had almost been let down or used by the author.  Certainly dissatisfied.  What did I learn from them?  Well, a lot of things NOT to be like.

Anyway, I found it interesting that there was no mention of God whatsoever.  This did not surprise me that much, but think about the implications.  No God, no standard, EXCEPT what the government gives, which in the case of the story was corrupt.  Because it was flawed it was right to disregard it, leaving no standard at all.  Everyone did what was right in their own eyes.  I suppose in that way the story was pretty accurate because when people just do what they like it doesn’t usually work!  The lack of morals and standards also shows in the relational choices Katniss makes.  She has no standard and is obviously wandering.  At the end of the story, I remember just thanking God for giving truth from which we can know how to live our lives.  I felt relieved that I live in this world at this time.

There were some interesting points about our culture and government and the story has a scary element to it because there are enough similarities between our society and the one in the story that it is not too hard to see how we could be there in years to come.  (I personally don’t think we will go that far.)  The story is also very interesting.  It’s a page turner.  It is hard to put down because you do want to find out what will happen – another selling point.  It is vivid and therefore translated well into a movie.  Here I know I differ from a lot of people, but I actually thought the movie was much better than the books.  Here is why.

> The books were crammed full of emotional drama.  Not only was it stated, but it was explained and hashed and rehashed.  In the movie, it did not have to be said so many times.  You could follow and understand the tension from looks or gestures.  Thankfully, there was not nearly as much in the movie as the book, or at least it did not demand as much of your attention.
> The books were visual.  They seemed to be written to be a movie and were well suited as one.  The movie did not need anything added to it to keep it going and was quite true to the books in terms of plot.
> The casting was excellent.  Every actor looked right for the part and did a great job acting.
> The effects were not corny.
> The setting was realistic and appropriate.
> The costumes were much as I had imagined.
> The movie pulled me into the story and made me feel the sadness, concern, fear, tension, etc. Which it should!

I think that may be a good place to wrap up my thoughts.  Here is the fun part!  The PREMIER!



"May the odds be EVER in your favor!"

Someone did this in chalk outside!


bbj, Alyssa, Shannon, Caitlin and Me - Waiting Outside

Shannon got there early and saved us spots!  What a friend!

Friends Forever! Me and 3xabigsis

Then Inside Waiting...

Our Theater

 Sisters... notice the gold eyeliner!

MORE WAITING
So 3xabigsis and I did some HG inspired nails!
Red for "The Girl on Fire"
Gold for Cinna
 Sorry the pic is bad... the lighting wasn't good.
It was so fun and since we can both be perfectionists at times
*coughcough*
it was a great way to pass the time.

Much fun!  So glad I got to go!  I enjoyed it enough to go again!
I am hopefully finished with this silly post title!
Thanks for bearing through this long saga!

~ A Song of Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment